January 13th, 2021
My 13 Step Badass Code Review Method For Junior Devs
- I invite Tom Erik to choose 1 of 2 times for a code review
- I prepare
- I remind Tom Erik «code review 10:30» on SMS
- I call Tom Erik on the telephone
- I listen up!
- I takes notes
- I ship my website in SMS link
- I show my code in a shared screen link, using https://whereby.com/
- I explain to Tom Erik what I did with dotenv 😺
- I say “Tell me what to do”
- I do EVERYTHING Tom Erik suggest I do, right NOW 🔨
- I say “Thank you” with feeling ❤️
- I make SketchNotes from my Tom Erik notes, Right now for 90 minutes.
2. I Prepare By Practicing
The other day I called up Tom Erik and asked him to review my code. The way I had prepared was according to my father’s rule of thumb about asking for chores to be done on his traditional Norwegian wooden sail ship with a crew of girls and boys, where I spent a few weeks every summer growing up. My father was the captain and owner of the ship and he said to all of us:
«Look. See what needs doing, do the work, then ask me to check your work. Don’t ask me what shall I do now? Don’t ask me how do I do this? On my ship you learn from doing, not from listening.»
So in preparation I try coding and re-coding on the problem I have decided to solve. I spread this out over several days, because daily practice works best for me. I focus on practicing the steps again and again, so that when Tom Erik asked me to do a thing in the code review, it was easier for me to understand what to do. And then I did what he asked me, I «live coded» Tom Eriks ideas. For example in the code review Tom Erik asks me to:
«Try pasting the key right into gatsby-config.»
«Ok.» I say and do it right then and there.
9. I explain to Tom Erik what I did with dotenv 😺
10. I say “Tell me what to do”
11. I do EVERYTHING Tom Erik suggest I do, right NOW 🔨
12. I say “Thank you” with feeling ❤️
13. I make SketchNotes from my Tom Erik notes, Right now for 90 minutes.
You see them here as images 😺👍
Do you have a story about a code review? Badassed or not I want to hear your story, so please send me an email at
ola 🐘 olavea.com