Posts tagged ‘glideapps’
December 13th, 2020
First we’ll look at the tasks I did in 8 steps, then we’ll look at why and when we do usability testing in our family business.
Skipper-Ola’s Usability Testing Tasks
- Calls Martin G.
- Listens up!
- Takes notes
- Ships his prototype in SMS link
- Says “Tell me what you are doing”
- Says “Thank you”
- Makes MartinG SketchNotes from notes, Right now for 90 minutes
8. is the most important to spend time on. I spent 90 minutes on 8 and 90 minutes on the other seven.
The point of this kind of usability testing is clarity. To make the 1-Job-Prototype clear for the one tester I am testing on, Martin G. So that Martin G. can go in, do the 1 job he is supposed to do without becoming distracted. And that is hard. It is suuuper hard to make a prototype that is easy-to-use. (
What Are the Eight Tasks of Usability Testing?
Let’s go to 1. Prepares.
Skipper-Ola’s Preparation Tasks For Usability Testing:
- Sends warning to Martin G.
- Finds two test dates.
- Invites Martin G.
- Writes a short script.
- Tests 1-Job-Prototype on his own iPhone. (17:46)
- Reminds Martin G.
2. Calls Martin G.
- “Are you alone?”
- ” … and put your headset on.”
3. Listens Up!
- Hearing accurate input
- Listens actively
- Gives UNDIVIDED attention
- Immerses his mind in:
- Voice and silences
- Noises like a low “Grrrh!”
4. Takes Notes
Shuts up and writes down
5. Ships my prototype
- I send SMS with a link to Marita’s prototype
- “Did you click that SMS link?”
6. “Tell Me What You Are Doing.”
- “I will read my script.”
7. Says “Thank You!”
- Martin G. knows: VERY Valuable
8. Re-Works My Martin-G.-Notes
I sit and observe my thoughts on:
- What Martin G. did
- Make my 1-Job clearer for Martin G.
First thing: for 90 minutes:
- I re-work my notes.
- I capture fresh ideas.
- I see my next task, so:
TODO: First find two good testing dates in your calendar
Why Usability Testing?
Benedicte has limited time and treasure.
So without doing usability testing timely, Benedicte cannot build to DONE. (See upcoming blog post on how I define DONE.)
Because nothing beats a real human trying to use Benedicte’s 1-Job-Prototype. To flush out ideas that don’t work.
When To Do Usability Testing?
- As humanly